Saturday, April 25, 2009

Being Motherly and Vocal.........

Ever since I subscribed to Netflix’s this past fall, I’ve been catching up on movies that have been on my “must see” list for years. Recently, I’ve been watching a lot of documentary, mostly with Rhett for his own education, but mine as well. I have come to realize that I have a LOVE for documentaries. I make a conscientious effort to try and see the full circle of situations, hear other’s opinions, while trying to keep an open mind, consider the biases, who’s funding the movie, what’s their motivation, etc.

Let me just go ahead and “put it out there”. I’m completely conservative on tons of issues. I put the trust of taking care of myself and my family in my own hands, and will not be dependant on the government. I don’t believe (at least in the last two decades) that our government has done much to make the USA a better place for myself or my family. Then again, why should I expect that? I was never raised to be a bottom-feeder. I never had the desire to live off the government, other people’s money, or depend on others for help. It was ingrained in me to be self-sufficient, work hard for what you want, save your money, spend money wisely, yada, yada, yada. For now, this seems to be the opposite trend of what a lot of Americans are doing, and just the tip of the iceberg as to why we are in our current economic situation. Once again, why I feel I can and will do for myself and not need the government to rule, place laws or doctrines on any portion of my life, or tax the hell out of me! Obviously, I understand we need the infrastructure to build roads, and other things, so this blog was not meant to be political. Yet, if there is one thing I’m totally liberal about, it’s the environment. I proudly term myself the “conservative conservationist.” That is not an easy statement for me to express, especially if you know the man that I was raised by and the family I’m happily married into.

Now down to the nitty-gritty. I’ve gone completely green. From wanting my next car to be hybrid or fuel cell, to highly considering installing solar panels on my roof and obtaining a geo-thermal heating/cooling system, to registering for and striving to only use G Diapers when Beau arrives. Heck, I’ve even thought about putting a wind turbine in my back yard. I can name just 3 movies that I hope will help you get off your butt and doing something about OUR environment. Or else, EVERYONE, will reap the repercussions’ of it now and in the future. I know I’m not the only one wondering why all the weather has gone whack on us, right?

First thing’s first--global warming. I’ve never felt more oblivious about a subject that I’m now enthralled with. Those who truly believe it’s not a real issue, are uneducated and are only kidding themselves. Yes, I said “You are ignorant!” Don’t worry, I was, too. It started after I finished the Planet Earth Series. Wow, I loved each and every episode, especially the last one titled 'The Future'. If you don’t believe there is a God after you watch the series, then I question if you are even human.

Next, I watched “Global Warming: The Signs and Science.” It’s a must see! If you only see one, then watch this. Check out the 2 minute promo to see just a glimpse of it. http://www.thegreatwarming.com/globalwarmingpromo-qt.html

I even gave in and watched Al Gore’s movie “An Inconvenient Truth”. Surprisingly, I now have a newfound respect for him.

Bottom line, each program displays how we are basically killing Mother Earth. I could easily purchase a gas guzzling dream car, like a Cadillac Escalade. Yet, to be quite frank, these days, I don’t get impressed by others money and status. By working daily with highly paid professionals, I’m surrounded by it. Those who flaunt their brand name clothes, huge homes, luxury cars, etc………blah-I could careless! If I wanted to go down that road of “Keeping up with the Jones”, I could. But, I choose not to. Don’t get me wrong, I love high quality products (like finely made clothes, decadent chocolates, and expensive French soaps), but not at the expense of our environment. Key word there folks: OUR environment ;)

How sad is this? I’m ashamed to even say it. We recently started recycling paper a few months ago. I didn’t really even know where to take it or where it goes once it’s recycled, but I got online and did some research. I’m amazed at all the opportunities to recycle so many things from the obvious--paper, plastic, glass, aluminum, to cell phones, batteries, and even tennis shoes. If you want to know more, just ask me! We should all do our best to keep them out of our land fields.

This is not even a political issue to me. The real reason I’m so affected and saddened by this whole situation is because it is so preventable! For me, it’s completely about knowing that in the environment is where I find my peace, solitude, strength, and where my connection and talks with God mostly occur. I’ve seen some indescribable beauty in my life. The best includes the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, lavender fields in the South of France (Provence), sunsets in the Caribbean, autumns in Maine, and amazing marine life from scuba diving.

As a mother, I strive and pray that my children will have a chance to experience the same beauty that brings meaning to my life. It always brings me closer to God. I hope they too realize that only an amazing God could create such a beautiful Earth. To comprehend the magnitude and complexity of it all is beyond me, and to see us ruin it everyday is gut wrenching. I must be vocal and fight for Mother Earth and do my best to protect her. It’s a moral obligation to me, my family and OUR future. Notice I keep capitalizing ‘OUR’ because it’s OUR world, OUR Earth, and OUR choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment