
I'll admit that I have yet to buy a "Team Mom" shirt. And to be candid......I absolutely LOVE football, but I think his practices are too intense. For 5-6 year olds, practice 3X a week for almost 2 hours, plus games on Saturday; it is a little bit much. It cut us out of joining karate due to the amount of weekly practice sessions.
I reminisce on the comments that other Mom's gave me about starting Rhett in kindergarten before he was five. You can imagine the usual opinions....."he's a boy........he'll be more mature in a year..........boys are slower at learning". I hedged through all of the opinions and listened to my heart and gut. No one knows their children better than their own Mom, and I felt he was ready for kindergarten. Thankfully, he did well, didn't struggle and was promoted to 1st grade. However, one statement stood out, that I'll never forget. A lady said "Think of what a year will do to his body, he'll be so much bigger, taller, stronger, and will be more likely to get a scholarship for football or athletics." Let's make a distinct clarification--I am not riding on the fact that my child is going to college on a quarterback or lineman scholarship? I believe in education, first and foremost. Of course, I'm all about supporting and believing in your child, but not to an unrealistic point. I've witnessed many parents who are glossy eyed with dreams of their children becoming professional football players, etc. In fact, it seems as if many parents are living their own dreams through their children. If my kiddos naturally excel in sports, music, academics, whatever; then I will definitely cultivate and inspire them to pursue their talents, but not before the books and their education. Either way, I found it shocking and sad that some parents have those types of expectations of their young children? Back to football, Rhett had an Outback Preseason Bowl Game, and the Longhorns won 12-0!
My sugars with his baby Bible before church.
Rhett had meet-the-teacher night. We then went to Beau's open house for his academy. The reason I choose his school over others was the owner has a Sous chef husband. During the school year, he makes dinners for families when they pick their kids up. It's a GREAT idea! I'm all about picking the kids up from school and having dinner already prepared. Anyways, we went to a taste test of the chef's foods, and it was delicious. We will definitely be utilizing the meals during hectic/busy times.
My sugars with his baby Bible before church.Next.........we joined a country club! I'll be getting my golf gear in soon, and once it cools off, start taking a few swings. I miss playing, it's been years (....or decades?).
Being back in TX, I've enjoyed some fabulous steakhouses/restaurants. Ruth's Chris, Roy's, and Del Frisco's to name a few. Still--the best steak I've ever had is Mahogany's in OKC--no better rib-eye, and I miss it.
My oldest friend, Kris & her Granny came to visit. Friday night, we went to see Martin Lawrence in a comedy show at Winstar Casino (a 1st for me). It was raunchy, but hilarious. We then went shopping, and Granny cooked us a chicken fried steak meal. We had so much fun just hanging out and laughing.
The following weekend, we went to the North Texas State Fair. We took the boys to the rodeo, then the fair. They loved the rides, but it broke our bank. Cotton Candy $7 dollars, give me a freakin' break! Eric got to catch Casey Donahew. I just love Texas Country and Red Dirt music.
We also went to the water park that weekend. It was an appreciation party for all Denton Medical Staff. Fun times, and I got reunite with so many of my high school buddies who I haven't seen in ages.
We had a cake with Rhett for his 6th b-day before school started at G-rent's.

He began 1st grade, and has had an easy transition. I think I get butterflies and jittery as much as the average person, but mostly because I'm a Mom who worried about how my oldest will do with a new school, new town, new friends, new teacher, etc. Thankfully, he was familiar with the boys from church and football, so he didn't feel completely "new" and did well. The following weekend, we went to the water park one last time. We celebrated Rhett's 6th B-day, and had a Captain Jack Party.
I'm ready for the fall, lots going on!








No comments:
Post a Comment