We're currently closing in--on where we want to live and where my future private practice will be. I'm basically waiting for the contract to be mailed to me, and then have an attorney review it for any glitches. The set-up is exactly what I wanted, and I'm so excited!
After working through medical school and residency with Rhett; Eric and I sat down to have a heart-to-heart. What do we really want out of this life? Where do we really want to be? What do we want for our children? One of my dear friends so gratefully stated, "Liz, the work opportunities are endless, and the money is there to make........it's always going to be. Don't let that get in the way of spending time with your children and watching them grow." I've always known this, and after seeing my options for work, she's exactly right. I can do whatever I want, and work as much or as little as I want.
My realization--I can't work full time, build up my new practice, raise an energetic 3-year-old, have a newborn baby, breastfeed for another year, and keep my marriage alive and strong with out some limits. I've grasped that I can't be superwoman for long, before I would just get plain worn out! Therefore, my "Type A-self" has agreed not to work so much. I'll basically have a 4 day work week with half days on Friday, 100% outpatient, no OB, no inpatient, and only home call that I would rotate between other physicians. Meaning, I get every evening and weekend to spend with my family. It's also central located for us, with grandparents only 45 minutes away!!! The town that we are considering is smaller and slower paced. That's just what we want for ourselves and our children at this time. Plus, it's got a lake, so Eric is thrilled (sarcastic "whoo-hoo"). Traffic wears on me big time, and OKC traffic is nothing compared to DFW--thankfully, this town has none. I grew up in small town TX and appreciate the paced, not so rushed life vs. living in the city. It seems like just going to the grocery store or out for dinner can even be hectic. Sure the amenities of a city are nice, but I'm kind of over a lot of the materialistic stuff. I don't have to shop, or eat out everyday. I'm perfectly happy to have a home cooked meal with my family, with our typical nighttime routine of stories, bath, etc.....
Weekend: It was great and the weather was beautiful. Now, I'm off for 9 days vacation. We took Rhett to the park and wore him out. It's so great to let your kids outside to run and play when they've basically been cooped up inside all winter. We also went to the library and got some new books to read, then ate at my favorite restaurant--Cantina Laredo. We finished it off with Amber's 30th birthday party.
Pregnancy: We have our 4D ultrasound next week. My belly just popped out this weekend (probably from all that Cantina Laredo I ate :) We busted out the maternity clothes, and Beau is moving all over. I'm already so in love!
What's left..........we're going to spend Valentine's day weekend in Denton with the 'rents. I love visiting them, and relaxing with family. We've got dinner reservations at Bucca (my favorite Italian restuarant). Lastly, I'll get to catch up with my girlfriends! Life is good, good, good.
No comments:
Post a Comment