Thursday, July 2, 2009

Study Break

My brain is full of medical jargon, so I decided to take a break.

Simply stated folks "I'm torn." As usual, I've been catching up on my documentaries since I've graduated. That's in addition to relaxing at home, studying for my board exam, and anxiously waiting Beau's arrival! This year in an earlier blog, I professed my desire to be as energy efficient and friendly to mother Earth as possible with recycling, using G-Diapers, etc. My latest fascination has been with electric cars. I watched a humorous and insightful documentary called "Who Killed the Electric Car".

So you ask, "Liz, what are you so torn about?"

Originally, I planned to drive my Honda until I was about 30 since it's paid off, and it's already been damaged by kid, dog, and daily use. Now, I've been contemplating at whether I should buy a Prius Hybrid with the Plug-In feature or if I should treat myself and put my name on the reservation list for a Tesla Model S Signature (100% electric car!). Both won't be out until 2010 or 2011, so I have some time to think about it.

The Tesla can get up to 300 miles per charge and only has a 45 minute plug-in time until it’s fully charged again. My thoughts are, how many places do I go from my current location that require >300 miles. From OKC, not to Denton, Dallas, or even Mexia would I go over 300 miles. Plus, I could probably re-charge at my location of choice to re-boost my electric powered battery. I'll never have to spend a dime on gas, oil, or filters since there's no combustion system. Yet, I do wonder how much my electricity bill will go up? It even comes with a spare battery that can be replaced in 5 minutes should I need to drive another 300 miles within my day. Seriously though, who drives 600 miles a day? Lastly, what’s even greater as we get ready to celebrate Independence day.....it's an AMERICAN made car, not foreign!!! God Bless the USA!

The Prius Hybrid with Plug-In capability will definitely save me money with regards to the total price of the vehicle, buying gas less frequently, and having solar power conversion on the roof, etc. It's also much more versatile. Meaning I can use gas, hybrid, or the electric plug-in feature. If I wanted to drive to Houston for the day or go anywhere over 300 miles, I wouldn't have to stop and wait 45 minutes to recharge, I could just buy some gas. Yet, when think about it..........45 minutes is nothing! I could grab a meal, chat with my girlfriends or family, and use the ladies room in that amount of time. The Tesla is twice as efficient as the current Prius Hybrid since it is 100% electric; however, it's twice the price and then some! I also consider that the energy used to charge the Tesla is obviously coming from somewhere (i.e. power plants), meaning more fossil fuels and coal burning would occur. In its own defense, I have read and studied that creating energy this way, is much better than burning gas. FYI: Did you know that each gallon of gas emissions burned puts 19 lbs of CO2 into the atmosphere?!?!

Basically, the Tesla is more car for my money. In it, they claim I can seat up to 7 people (comfortably?--that's questionable). I also wonder if either car would be feasible for a family of 3 big boys, our lab, and me. I've already had a taste of playing "soccer mom" with taking Rhett to the Little Gym and swimming lessons every week. That was an ordeal with both Eric & I working, OB appointments, frequent visits to TX, etc, and makes me reconsider if I should just get an SUV. Then again, we've always got Eric's gas-guzzling truck, but that goes completely against my whole reasoning for why I'm even considering these types of vehicles. He's such a joker (or smart-a**) and teases me that I just need to give into the motherly mini-van......haha. I've never been an SUV or truck kind of girl. I've always driven cars because occasionally I have the need for speed and like to take turns sharply. However, after working in ER and having children of my own, my motherly instinct made my need for speed drastically decrease and slow down! ;)

Bottom line, the Tesla is a hot car! A Prius is ah....well, a Prius, and not a luxury. Should I treat myself and my ego with this lovely luxury or be conservative with both with my $ and my morals and go with the Prius? My father's voice lingers in my head "A car is just a car, and can only take you from point A to point B". Oh how I love the way my papa simply states the obvious. Some believe it's just a little curving and bending of the metals that makes the cars different. I know, I know--I'm comparing apples to oranges. Either way I choose, I feel good knowing that my future car will do better for the environment. Maybe I'll just stick it out with the good ol' dependable Honda until the boys get much older......who knows!

Tesla Model S


Toyota Prius Hybrid

1 comment:

  1. Liz,

    Hey, I am going private. I need your e-mail so I can add you to my list. karafabela@yahoo.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete