Saturday, February 13, 2010

"First" for the 1st month

I attended my first film festival, ever.  The Trail Dance Film Festival right here in Duncan.  It was tons of new independent filmmakers from all over the world, aspiring to present their hard work to us (the audience), see our reactions, and hear our critiques.  I'll definitely be attending this treat next year.

I also got to meet with Senator's and Legislator's at a medical meeting to discuss healthcare reform.  It was "interesting" to say the least, but like most politicians, we got no where.

Soon after, as I'm sure everywhere is aware, we had horrible power outages in OK.  We were without power for 7 days straight!  Imagine folks, really.  Some folks were without power for more days than that.  The two major things that my milk supply depended on, I was without--warm water (not to mention zero water pressure) and no electricity to pump or store milk in.  It was beyond frustrating, and made me realize how dependent we are on eletricity, gas, other countries oil, etc.  Since we had nothing else to do by fireplace, it made me and my family sit back and think about the true necessities in life, like food and water.  I pondered what it would be like if we grew up 150 years ago, without these amenities.  What if there were no TV, video games, internet, phone, and freedom to get in the car and go.  I'll admit for 3 days I went down to TX because I couldn't stand the thought of loosing 6+ months of stored breast milk.  I had worked way too hard with too many hours of pumping, for it to all go to waste.  I even told Eric "Screw the steaks, I'm more worried about my milk!".  With an ice-chest packed full of breast milk, off to Grandma's we went.  Thankfully, the hard working line men gave us our power back by Wendesday night.  I seriously have never in my life been more excited to go home and do laundry & the dishes.

While at home in TX, we attended David's retirement party and I got to see some face that I hadn't seen in years (maybe even a decade).  We also celebrated Bryan's birthday at the yummy Pour House.  Rhett started gymnastics last month, too.  He is in an all boys class, and loves it.  We also got Beau's 6 month photos.  I knew these would be our last chance to capture his little butt completely naked and catch the beautiful rolls.  Rhett even got in on the fun.  DeAnna did a great job, again! 


Other first, Beau got his first taste of rice ceral.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love the new header! Such cute boys you've got there!! And I totally understand the breastmilk thing-- I just about came unglued one night when I spilled an ounce!

    ReplyDelete